Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Dry Days

The water at my apartment has been absent for nearly a week. This of course makes laundry, cleaning, cooking, bathing, and flushing the toilet virtually impossible. Fortunately, I rarely do any of these things anyway. . .Most housing and apartment complexes in Nairobi have huge storage tanks which help residents deal with the irregular supply of water. Our tanks have all run dry and even the plastic “emergency water jugs” I filled are now empty. The city council has decided not to turn on the water supply until later this month. I buy my drinking water, but it’s a challenge living without water for other things. Fortunately, one of the askaris (guards) has agreed to provide 40 liters of water from an unknown source. I think he may have “borrowed” it from one of the neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment